The Canal House
The Blackwells Mills Canal House borders the Delaware and Raritan Canal in Franklin Township (Somerset) NJ. Built in the 1830s, it was home to generations of bridge tenders whose job it was to open the swing bridge when canal boats came through. In 1930, Sandor Fekete, his wife Tereza, and eight children moved into the Canal House. He was to be the last bridge tender. When operations closed on the D&R Canal in 1932, Mr. Fekete remained as a tenant. He died in 1970 at the age of ninety-two leaving indelible marks on the property, most notably the garden we enjoy today.
All content on this website is copyrighted and may not be used or reproduced without permission.